6° // no unicorns in the real world




We already have mid-january and it's been a while, it always is. So lately I felt this need again to create some kind of content on here. I like to tell myself that the lack of posts is directly proportional to the lack of time on my hands. Truth is, time management was never my strong suit. Squeezing in a blogpost every now and then would easily be possible, but I tend to spend my procrastinating hours with things less challenging.
Writing or let's say creating a post is like building something from scratch. I have to put a lot of thought in it, which can be exhausting, so I put it off like everything else. However, I'm well aware that I shouldn't. Yes, in case of the blog, it's on a voluntary basis. I mostly do it for myself. It's neither uni nor a job. Little to no responsibilities come with it at this point, so naturally it isn't a priority.

Why do it altogether? I guess, because it's fun and it's liberating, a bit scary as well, considering that everything is public. You put something 'out there', whatever it may be. With months between these posts, it feels like I have to get my thought process straight before I can focus on a specific topic, hence this explanation ramble.


Okay, so 2017. New year, new life, merry everything and happy always. This is probably how most of us like to think about it, even if we deny it. Obviously, we also know that that's a figment. The clock resets, as well as the date, but our minds don't. Life doesn't magically change as soon as the seven appears on the screen instead of the six. It's just that, an exchange of numbers. For someone whose trying to get their shit together (doesn't matter if it's in general or in terms of a few specific areas of life), that sounds like bad news. Sorry, no unicorns in the real world. 


Nevertheless, these aren't bad news at all. Change isn't bound to the beginning of the new year. If you think about it, it's the only constant there is in life. This means we can get our shit together any time we like. The problem with this concept is that mankind is a creature of habit, so real change takes time, patience and most of all effort. I tend to forget this. I like to think of myself as a patient person, but then again I'm not patient at all. Paradox Patricia. One hell of a character trait I have there.



Stamina, patience, focus - get these three points right and you can do almost anything in my opinion. And that is what the present is going to be, not 2017, not tomorrow, not next week, just now. Emily Dickinson once said 'forever is composed of nows', something we should all think about. The thing is, you can neither change the past, nor see the future, right? You can only decide about the present, the moments you have now. So let's just try to do that right.
Such a pep talk I did there. Haha. I needed that.

By the way, I'm very keen on them self portraits. Sounds super vain, I don't mean it like that. Well. Anyway, the pictures above would've been hard to take by myself, so credits for these go to my mom. They were taken in Summer, obviously, but I quite like them, and since it's kind of a personal post I thought, why not use them. And the last photo down here, that's my mom.


One more thing, when I first thought about a new post I wanted to address the question mentioned in the video below, namely: "What does it mean to be human?" In the end I didn't, because I still haven't decided on how I want or should answer that question myself. There is no right or perfect answer to this. It's way to complex.

So, the reason I share this here is because I believe it's an essential question to ask oneself and in today's society. Self-reflection and humanity are important issues, especially nowadays. If you can spare eight minutes of your time, watch it. Think about it.


I'll leave it at that for today. I wish you all a nice week, stay cosy!

No comments:

Post a Comment