5° // nostalgia around every corner



Long time no see beloved blog. I'm sorry, I know it's been a while. I guess it'll always be a struggle to make this a regular thing. Then again, maybe I just need to be buried in work 24/7, because that, beautiful people who read this, is what bears a resemblance to all my previous posts. Every single one of them was written in times, where I undoubtedly shouldn't have spent even one precious minute on them. Somehow the appeal of sharing my thoughts, pictures and stories on here is the procrastination process running in the background. Good thing I finally cleared that up, since it's most certainly an issue of great importance. Nothing more urgent in my life right now. Nope, never.
Anyways, this is basically going to be more or less one of these late night rambles, without a real cause or topic for that matter. At least that's the plan right now.


Recently I've been to Greece again, Thessaloniki to be exact. For those of you who don't know, I spent about five months in this city back in Autumn/Winter 2014. This October was the first time I was back after returning home one and a half years ago. And let me tell you, coming back to a place you learnt to love with every fibre of your being over that period of time is one of the most rewarding feelings one can have. Clearly, I was exceptionally excited about this trip from the moment I had booked the flights.
The reason I went there in the first place was actually an Erasmus Reunion. I have to be honest, most of the people I've grown to like a lot back then couldn't make it. Still a few of them did. And then there's always the possibility to meet other people you didn't quite get the chance to talk to before. It was more about the experience, reviving the Erasmus spirit and feeling this certain pinch of independence and freedom all over again.



We changed, but the city stayed pretty much the same. See, Greece has a special vibe to it. I didn't even realize how much I missed it until I got out of the airport. It already grew on me while I was waiting over half an hour for the bus. The one that was actually still there, was crammed like hell the time I got to the bus stop. However, the moment it really hit me was when I was finally on the way to the city centre.




I was standing there with my luggage wedged between millions of people, only hoping and praying that at one point everyone will finally stop moving. Imagine a 20 centimetre gap left behind you and at least ten people who believe it to be a good idea to squeeze themselves plus their massive 30 kg suitcases through to the other side. With no space left on either side. Like seriously, can everybody just stop pretending to be Hulk in a bad remake of Mission Impossible? Thank you, I really appreciate it.
Eventually the bus doors close and the 30-minute fun ride begins. Now let me tell you, in Greece the roads are a little bumpy. Still an understatement though, because potholes are rather the rule than the exception. For those of you who think that these circumstances determine rather considerate and careful bus drivers: Well, you're damn right. But don't expect to find those here. Basically, they so don't give a shit. Greek traffic in general is, let's say, a bit different, especially compared to Austria.





Okay, back to the original story line. 
So, I find myself in this horrific situation, doing what:
Swearing? Condemning planet earth? Despising mankind?
Nope.
I merely started smiling like the most stupid person that ever existed in the entire universe while plainly thinking: "I'm home." Yes, I'm that kind of sentimental. And that's the thing with Thessaloniki and Greece in general, it's perfectly imperfect. To be honest, I've only seen little splinters of the country until now and I haven't even been to one of the islands yet. Santorini, we badly need to meet each other! However, I've seen something way more valuable: innumerable aspects of greek life, culture, bureaucracy, nature and its people. The Good and the Bad.





When you visit a country, a city or some place whatsoever for a few days or maybe even hours on holiday, you only scratch on the surface. There's simply no time for anything else. Whereas for me, it feels like I've looked right into the soul of the city. It became an irrevocable part of me. Oh so corny, I know. I still believe there's some truth in it. 
Additionally, one is living right by the sea. Ain't nothing better than that. Even if there aren't any beaches directly in Thessaloniki, there's the seaside. There's still the ocean scent and that beloved saltiness in the air. All of this translates into pure happiness for me. Moments spent by the sea are always happy ones, no matter how shitty a day is.




This feeling of love, peace and harmony is certainly temporary, especially when it comes to greek bureaucracy. I spent countless hours and days with this nerve-racking madness. These things even haunt you on a weekend getaway, because life happens. Ever had your flight cancelled due to a strike, only to be informed about the strike's cancellation merely 12-18 hours after its announcement? No? Welcome to Greece.
I guess now (Yes, only after this weekend. Haha.) I'm finally at a point where I can simply accept it. Just sit back and let the chaos unfold. After all, Greece wouldn't be Greece without it. Nobody really wants perfection. Quirky little (and not so little) flaws are what make life interesting, right? Pretty cliché, but it's true. 




I believe going on Erasmus is one of the best things you can do in your life. In my opinion, basically everything that involves going abroad for a certain amount of time can be highly recommended. Of course every experience is different. Some travel adventures are more about meeting new people, whereas others are about finding yourself. However, in the end it all comes down to growing as a person and expanding your horizon. Leaving that life in a nutshell behind.
Spending a long time abroad changes you in a way that you'll never really feel completely home at a place ever again. One of the truest things I've read lately. Well, at least that was the message behind it, because I've absolutely no idea where I read it. Unfortunately that photographic memory of mine isn't quite working in my favor today. Still, I guess this statement resonates with me like nothing else at the moment. Thessaloniki is my second home and always will be. To be honest, I deeply hope that I'll get to call many more places my home in the future. 






Anyways, it feels like I've reached the limit for sentimental bullshit in a single post a while ago. Congratulations to everyone who read this far, you can be proud of yourself! This post had a topic after all, didn't see that one coming. I'll leave you with the rest of the pictures I took during that weekend in October now. And yes, it was super sunny at times. And no, I didn't take any pictures then. Good thinking, Patricia, good thinking. Welcome to a series of moody and rainy photos from Saloniki, it was my pleasure!















No comments:

Post a Comment