3° // how to define traveling


Traveling is first and foremost a way to make new experiences. It's the sound of a different language, the sudden smell of salt water in the air and the challenge of not getting lost in a big city. It's the beauty of learning about other cultures and the amazing moment you meet new people, that you later get to call your friends. It's challenging yourself by traveling alone or making memories with loved ones, family and friends. I believe it's a countless list of things, positive as well as negative ones. Traveling is so many different things at once and I guess that's what's appealing to me.




One of the perks of spending a semester abroad is making new friends. Two, of the many I made during my stay in Greece back in 2014, live in Latvia, Jelgava to be precise. It's is a town situated about 41 kilometres southwest of Riga. 









Another friend I met on Erasmus and I decided to visit the two lovely girls last summer. And then go to a music festival with one of them. It took place a few days after, but that's probably a story for a separate post. (Spoiler Alert. Haha.)










If you're staying in Riga, one of the easiest and probably also cheapest ways to go to Jelgava is by train. It leaves regularly from the Central Train Station and takes about 50 minutes. A one-way ticket costs 2.05€. Buying the ticket for both ways straight away saves you a few cents as you only pay 4€.






Jelgava itself is quite different in comparison to Riga, much more quiet and peaceful. Well, at least if you visit during the months of the summer holidays, like we did.








It's basically the students' capital, as the Latvia University of Agriculture can be found there. Thus, I guess the calm atmosphere we experienced during our stay was only temporary.









Other than that I believe it's one of the greenest cities I've ever been to. There's a green area around every corner. The university itself is surrounded by the huge Jelgava Palace Park.









By the way, if you love cute little càfes as much as I do, you should definitely go to the one pictured above. It's called 'Silva' and is actually a tea house. The interior is just as lovely as the exterior. There's an additional huge seating area outside, if you want to enjoy the weather. Back then I posted pictures on my Instagram. You can find them here and here.
On a side note, during my three weeks of traveling last year I wasn't as committed to eating vegan as back home. Therefore, I'm unfortunately not sure if they have vegan cake options or milk alternatives.





The view on the crossing river Lielupe accompanied by its grassy strips on either side only makes you like the city more. Considering that the weather back then was all about sunshine and blue sky, I couldn't help but fall in love with the place.





"Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown."
This quote by Gaby Basora sums it up perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment